The Alberta Literary Awards were established in 1982 to recognize literary excellence in our province. Submissions are invited from any writer who is a resident of Alberta and are evaluated on originality, creativity, and quality of writing, as well as appropriate fit within a category. Winners are announced at our annual Alberta Literary Awards Gala.
We currently offer over $10,000 in cash prizes for the following awards:
- Georges Bugnet Award for Fiction, awarded to a published novel or short story collection
- Wilfrid Egglestone Award for Nonficiton, awarded to a published nonfiction book
- Stephan G. Stephansson Award for Poetry, awarded to a published book of poetry
- R. Ross Annett Award for Children's Literature, awarded to a published children's picture book or juvenile/young adult book in alternating years
- Gwen Pharis Ringwood Award for Drama, awarded to a play published or produced in the year of eligibility
- Howard O'Hagan Award for Short Story, awarded to a published piece of short fiction
- James H. Gray Award for Short Nonfiction, awarded to a published piece of short nonfiction
- Jon Whyte Memorial Essay Prize, awarded to an unpublished essay
- Writers’ Guild of Alberta Youth/Emerging Writing Contest, awarded to an unpublished piece of fiction or nonfiction by an author under 30
We also periodically award the Golden Pen Award to recognize lifetime achievement by an Alberta author.
Due to economic downturn, it has become increasingly difficult to find sponsors for the prizes. We need the support of donors to ensure the continuation of the prize amounts that our province's authors deserve for their excellence.
The Writers’ Guild of Alberta (WGA) was formed in 1980 to provide a meeting ground and collective voice for all the writers of the province. Our members write in every genre and at every level of expertise, and enjoy a wide range of benefits and the opportunity to network with fellow writers.
The WGA helps give Alberta writers a sense of unity and community, and with over 1000 members, it is the largest provincial writers’ organization in Canada.
We offer opportunities for professional development and networking, including writing retreats, workshops, webinars, youth programs, and conferences. Our website includes podcasts, FAQs on writing and publishing topics, and a blog about the writing life.
We also host the annual Alberta Literary Awards. Created in 1982, these awards recognize excellence in writing by Alberta authors.
The WGA replies on the generosity of individuals and sponsors to accomplish our mission. Donating to the WGA directly supports the development of Alberta writers.
Donations can be directed to ongoing program and administrative costs or to the longevity and future sustainability of the organization though the WGA endowment plan.
Please select a link below if you wish to earmark your donation for a specific program. If you wish to donate to a program not listed below, please use the “Choose this cause” button at the bottom of the page and use the Comments field to indicate where you would like your donation to go. You may use the “Choose this cause” button to make a general donation as well.
Please note that all donations made through ATB Cares are anonymous by default. If you wish for your donation to be recognized in the WGA’s donor acknowledgements, please use the optional comments fields to indicate your name and email address when making your donation. We do not have access to names or contact information entered in the fields for your charitable donation tax receipt. Donations made will be forwarded to the WGA on the month after the donation was made.
Please consider donating today and supporting Alberta’s vibrant literary community. The WGA Board of Directors, staff, and our membership thank you for your contributions to the WGA.
© 2017 ATB Cares. All rights reserved. ® Registered trademarks of Alberta Treasury Branches. Powered by Benevity